Hang like horses balls, drop
one by one, clock cars and sidewalkers.
Upon impact, the heavy rind splits
to reveal brown flanks birthmarked
by an asymmetrical moon. Ambilical cap,
still musty with sex, we nose
before gathering in our pockets
to ward corners. Growth rings
store the season’s intervals:
from beach volleyball to Windsor knot.
Summer flown south on the back of a swallow;
the lakes we swam in are turning over,
heavy water sinking to the bottom.
So too our blood cycles, as we
armor ourself for the coming cold.
7 comments:
I'm wondering if I should call this poem Chestnuts instead, as Conkers has other associations. Who knew it was a childhood game and that there are international conker competitions!
Check it out!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers
Love to hear your thoughts.
Bren
Bren: My vote would be to stay with conkers.
I didn't really understand this poem, but I sure liked it.
I have no idea what conkers are and found the poem hard to "get" because of it. at the same time, i loved it... many great images and words and sensations. chestnuts would help me out though.
just read it again as a poem about chestnuts and loved it ten times more. reminds me of east van.
The poems is beautiful--I didn't know what conkers were, but I don't think it matters -- let the reader look it up if they want!
I didn't know conkers were chestnuts! I first heard conker in the UK and thought it was something totally exotic! (No chestnuts around these parts.)
I did know it was a game, but since the game is played with the nut, I think it still fits. Plus, conkers is such a wonderful word.
Michelle,
It is about East Van! I have horse chestnuts lining my street.
Which street????
e. 10th by any chance?
Post a Comment