Friday, 15th May Crossed the river today and encamped on the north shore and in the evening learned that Riel had been taken prisoner and brought into camp. We were not invited to view him, however.
I am glad to cross the water
leave the south shore
and its blood-muddied banks.
We have captured the rebel.
They say he's half-mad, disheveled.
They found him wandering, alone.
Hard to believe
he negotiated the province of Manitoba
some 15 years ago.
***
Louis David Riel
is gone from my sight.
I am carrying our third child
but I cough blood each night.
Jean-Louis is but three,
Marie-Angelique, two.
Dumont brought us to safety,
then fled. What more can he do?
Our children are young:
may Louis be spared his life.
We've been married four years,
not so long for a wife.
Jean-Louis says he's now the man of the family:
Big shoes to fill for someone scarcely past three.
Au nom du pére, et du fils, et du sanct esprit
ainsi soit-il. Mais qui
protegéra nos biens nos foyers nos droits
et maintenant qui protegéra nos vies?
3 comments:
I mentioned this too on an earlier piece, but I really like the little ties between the pieces (aside from the big, historical ties) like the way the blood image is used -- first a very public massacre, then a private crisis. Also, the different perspectives on Riel -- "half-mad, dishevelled" but then a sturdy family man.
How touching, sad..especially to hear of the 4 year marriage and the new `man in the family`..sigh..
Saddest of all: she miscarries their third child, only a month before he is hung.
After that, she and the daughter die of tuberculosis.
Jean-Louis survives another decade before being thrown from a horse and killed.
Neither Dumont nor Riel have any direct descendants...
Post a Comment